The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Measure twice, cut once

I’m applying the carpenter’s advice of measure at least twice and cut once to the travel business. My measurement is not conduced on a piece of word rather it’s measuring a product at least two or three times before I buy (cut) it.

Here’s a conversation I had with a person the other day. They needed a pre departure airport hotel that offered a stay & park package. They had surfed a web site or two and now needed reassurance that they had booked the best deal.

So I explained that they should contact (measure) the on line booking engines like expedia.com or hotels.com, try their local travel agent then contact the hotel directly. Once they’re sure they have got the correct measurements (price) then cut away (book it).

With hotel fly and stay package be sure to verify that the room rate you’ve reserved qualifies for their free or reduced rate parking offers. On I recent trip my AAA room rate did not qualify for free parking so I had to upgrade to another room rate to obtain the special offer. In this instance my room rate only increased $5.00 for the night and it included 5 nights of free parking. Or I could have kept the AAA rate and pay $5.00 a day to park. Doing some quick mental math it was definitely worth it to part with the extra $5.00.