The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Monday, September 3, 2007

More on inbound tourism

Recently I commented on the potential economic impact of port stops in our region by the riverboats and barges that cruise up & down the Ohio River. Let me continue and expand my observations on the financial impact of a recent tourism related special event in our destination.

First a few definitions:
· Tourism: The practice of traveling for pleasure. I don’t put a mileage cap or restriction on this. WE ALL CAN BE TOURISTS in our own community. How many times have you driven by a certain attraction and never stopped? Yes, I’m guilty of this too!
· Destination: A place that a tourist elects to spend time and MONEY, the most important part of this definition.

OK let me try and pull this all together for you. Check back and I’ll share with you how & when I played tourist in my home town of Ironton.