The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Road trip to Ohio's 1st Capital

Last Friday I was asked if I could attend a Kiwanis Club dinner meeting on Saturday in Chillicothe, OH. It was last minute but the schedule was free so the timing was perfect for another Travel Professor Road trip.

Many of us myself included are probably guilty of motoring right through “Chilly” as we head north or south on State Route 23. If we do stop it’s briefly for fuel or a quick snack then back to the asphalt roadway.

We very seldom deviate from our route of march and take the time to venture into the community to discover what they are all about. This time instead of driving to my meeting then immediately returning to the river cities I decided reserve a hotel room and spend Saturday and Sunday checking out Ohio’s 1st capital city.

First stop this time was not the Internet rather it was the travel information center just north of Lucasville on SR 23. The helpful attendant provided a great map of Chillicothe plus a nice tourist pamphlet on the city and Ross County.

I also picked up a magazine offering discounted coupons on last minute hotel stays. Armed with a list of telephone number I dialed a few up and managed to get a room for under $50.00 a night. OK I have to admit that I did search the net for hotel rooms in the area and the going rate was $80.00 plus so I figured that at $50 bucks I got a real bargain. Sorry but in cleaning out my car this pamphlet was pitched so I’ll have to give you their web address later.

Next I looked over the attractions and started to prepare my itinerary & I’ll share these with you later.

Got questions? Ask them at
thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.