The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Medically speaking travel is good for you

Daily I receive hundreds of email messages which are actually way too many! Airlines, cruise companies, hotels, tour operators, destination tourism offices just about any imaginable combination of companies, organizations and individuals feel that they need to share their knowledge with me. Many of these messages that clog my inbox are junk or affectionately called spam ones ready to be added to the trash file.

I’ve been working on reducing my subscriptions to various newsletters and travel industry briefings but an occasionally one still provide timely insights. Here’s a recent one that I’d like to share.

Today the Travel Industry of America forwarded this New York Times article titled
“Vacations Are Good for You, Medically Speaking” to me. Open this link read the article and ponder the points.

I have always been a proponent of the benefits of travel but admittedly I make my living in travel industry so my opinion may be biased. However I’ve seen the positive effects of travel and vacations as it affects the lives of couples, families, singles, students and businesses.

You don’t have to travel around the world you just have to travel. Change the American vacation concept of painting or cleaning your house and drive across town or an hour away and expand your horizons. Check out the Huntington Museum of Art, Ashland’s Highland Museum or the flood murals in Portsmouth, Ironton or Catlettsburg. Dine in an unusual restaurant, shop in an ethnic store visit a historic church or cathedral just break your normal routine and do something different.

I believe that current buzz word “staycation” refers to this concept of traveling locally. I’ll touch on this trend in later posts.

In summation to use a well worn popular marketing cliché “Just Do It”!