The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Huntington Museum of Art & YTB Travel

Guests were in from out of town and being Civil War enthusiasts I thought a trip to view the photographic exhibit at the Huntington Museum of Art (HMOA) and dining at Pullman Square would be a perfect way to show off our region.

Not really sure when the HMOA was open I checked out their web presence and was shocked by a link I discovered on their home page. Initially blown out of the water but what was displayed I crossed my fingers and clicked on the “Turn Your Vacations into Donations” button.

I have been very critically of the “become an instant travel agent and get rich quick” pyramid schemes (scams) that are everywhere and now on the HMOA website.

I dismissed YourTravelBiz.com (ytb.com) a year or so ago as one of these pyramid operations. Now the states of California and Illinois have brought legal proceedings against these folks and are siding with my opinion.

Travel always has and will continue to be a major fund raiser for organizations large and small. It is my hope that the HMOA is only selling travel via their website and not recruiting people to buy into the YTB instant travel agent program.

What if you have travel questions like “What is the difference between Carnival, NCL or Royal Caribbean cruise lines or is there a difference between staying downtown or on the Strip in Las Vegas?”


Who do you ask at the HMOA? The curator? Executive Director? Doubtful and I'm sure “Just check our website” will be the textbook reply.