The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Results of my Las Vegas package price shopping exercise

My December Columbus OH to Las Vegas trip has been researched the data analyzed and a booking decision reached.

The winner based on a price of $424.53 and desired flight schedules was the on-line mega travel agency
www.travelocity.com followed by an a la carte booking process that created a package rate of $430.20. This rate was achieved by booking the air directly with Continental and the rooms on www.imperialpalace.com.

I search about dozen sites some were travel agent only and the other general consumer ones. The prices varied by a few bucks on most sites but some suppliers like Continental Vacations did offer the IP as part of their vacation deals.

My search took about 10 to 15 minutes and I am fairly confident that for my travel dates, times and hotel choice that $425.00 is the going rate. There may be cheaper rates on different dates or properties but I’m locked in to these because of the conference dates.

Also please beware that travel prices are like oil and stock prices which means they will fluctuate often drastically. My advice is once you find a price you can live with then purchase the tickets and/or package arrangements. Yes you know your pricing comfort zone so when the rates fall within that range it’s a buy time.

Happy travels!