The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Touring Pittsburgh PA

It has been years since I traveled to the Heartland Travel Show’s host city Pittsburgh and honestly I was over whelmed by the changes. Most if not all of the updates were positive and really made this old rust belt steel city a great place to visit.

Pittsburgh was already on my radar for a summer trip as the Cleveland Indians were playing the Pirates for a mid June series so this was a definite reconnaissance trip. At the conference I was in sensory overload so I needed to regroup and reflect on my trip goals/objectives.

This is a family trip so I’m trying to blend fun and education together for all parties and I’m convinced that it will not be problem.


My son wants to see the Pirates play and being a ketchup lover he also wants as much Heinz history as possible. Regrettably he also wants to visit Heinz Field home of the dreaded Steelers. Any self respecting Browns fan would not pay the $6.50 entrance fee but I’ll swallow my pride and succumb to my son’s wishes.

There is plenty more to see and do in the ‘Steel City”. We will ride the 130-year-old Duquesne Incline to the top of Pittsburgh's Mount Washington for a fantastic view of the city below. Dining plans will include a visit to Primanti's Restaurant where the fries and cole slaw come on the sandwich, not on the side.

Another downtown tour stop is the Fort Pitt Block House and Museum. The block house built in 1764 is Pittsburgh's oldest structure and the last vestige of the British Empire in Western Pennsylvania. The museum houses exhibits on the history of the 18th Century in what would become western Pennsylvania. They have a new exhibit follows the course of Colonial and Revolutionary conflicts from 1754-1803, examining the prominent role the "Forks of the Ohio" and its forts played in determining the course of American History.

On our drive we’ll be able to visit Falling Waters and Kentuck Knob famous designs of notable architect Frank Lloyd Wright. We’ll explore Forts Necessity and Ligonier and the early history of Colonel George Washington.


I’ve just scratched the surface of the many sights, sounds, smells and tastes available in this great location. For more information visit www.visitpittsburgh.com or call 800.359.0758 and start planning your getaway.

Happy travels!