The Travel Professor
Join me on a journey across the broad spectrum of interesting travel topics. We’ll discuss destinations domestic and abroad, some familiar and some off the beaten path. We take a look at suppliers like cruise lines, air carriers and tour operators and find their bargains and special offerings. Got questions? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Las Vegas flat taxi rate?

It's no secret for years now that some cab drivers take tourists arriving at Las Vegas’ McCarran Airport on longer routes to their destinations in order charge them a higher fare, a practice known as long-hauling. A recommendation of a $20 flat rate from the airport to any destination in the city was made at a Nevada Taxicab Authority meeting last week that could end the practice.

Fortunately I’m familiar with the local roads and pointed this out to the cabbie and he corrected immediately. Another option I use is the airport shuttle as this runs $6.00-$8.00 way.

This flat rate works for me on an airport to the Strip or downtown hotel run but I’m not sure how it impacts the short haul trips. $20 bucks seems a little steep to go from the Mirage to Mandalay Bay. But then again I ride the RTC-CATS public transportation most of the time when I’m in Vegas. I only rent a car when I’m traveling out in the countryside.


Got travel? Email thetravelprofessor@gmail.com.